Sunday, February 13, 2011

Scanography

Scanography is so cool. I had never heard about it before this class, but I had a ton of fun playing around with it. For those of you who don't know, scanography is taking a picture, but with a scanner instead of a camera. You can get some really neat effects with light and focus that are very unique to this style of art.

For this assignment I was supposed to do two images. One just with everything on the scanner (a one scan) and one that was at least three different images that I blended together in Photoshop (a collage scan). Here's what I came up with.

One scan:
Girl Power
This scan was created by placing all the items on the scanner bed and placing a box over the top (to block the light) so the background would be black. I increased the contrast and the saturation in the advanced options on the scanner.

Star-Gazing
For this one, I just placed the bouquet on the scanner bed and put ribbon all around it. I also increased the saturation and contrast on this one too, as well as boosting up the fuchsia tones.

Collage Scan:
 Original Scans



Final Edit:
 Ode to the Uke
 This one was a little more tricky than I thought it was going to be. I scanned all three images in, only editing the contrast and saturation on the ukulele. I then took the three images into Photoshop. I used the music as the background, so I didn't make any changes to it except to up the contrast just a bit. I then removed the black portions off the ukulele image and the book image. I wanted to use the book picture because it is a book I inherited from my grandparents, and it's pretty cool. The song in the back is one of my favorite songs to play. I used the linear light blending mode on the book and decreased the opacity of the ukulele to 90%. I rotated the images slightly to get the composition I wanted, and I really like how the final image turned out.

No comments: